At the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Understand importance of pain neuroscience as part of chronic pain treatment
- Understand the basic neuroscience of chronic pain
- Understand how to explain pain to children and their families in order to improve readiness for 3P approach for intervention
Shirin Atalloahi-Eshqoor, OT at the Hospital for Sick Children
Shirin is an Occupational Therapist on the Chronic Pain team at SickKids, providing assessment and treatment to children and teenagers living with chronic pain conditions. She also facilitates individual and group pain education seminars to patients and families. Shirin works in collaboration with the Get Up and Go Persistent Pediatric Pain Service to refer SickKids patients to their program. Shirin has an interest in how racial, cultural and social factors influence accessibility and treatment within a pediatric chronic pain setting.
Resources Mentioned in Session
- Understanding pain – and what’s to be done about it in 10 minutes
- Understanding Pain in less than 5 minutes, and what to do about it!
- TEDxAdelaide – Lorimer Moseley – Why Things Hurt
- Understanding Pain: Brainman chooses
- What is Chronic Pain ?
- Tame The Beast
- Self-Management Resources
- Words that harm, words that heal
- A randomized-controlled trial of using a book of metaphors to reconceptualize pain and decrease catastrophizing in people with chronic pain
- Why Pelvic Pain Hurts
- The efficacy of pain neuroscience education on musculoskeletal pain: A systematic review of the literature
- The Effect of Neuroscience Education on Pain, Disability, Anxiety, and Stress in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- A Randomized Controlled Trial of Intensive Neurophysiology Education in Chronic Low Back Pain
- Explain Pain in Real Time
- Pain Neuroscience Education: State of the Art and Application in Pediatrics
- Living in Fear of Your Child’s Pain: The Parent Fear of Pain Questionnaire
- Exposure Heirarchy Worksheet
You must be logged in to view this content.