- Understand and appreciate the need for preventing needle poke pain in children & youth
- Understand the purpose of the Comfort Promise and the 4 evidence-based options to help reduce and eliminate needle poke pain
- Apply the Comfort Promise to various case studies commonly seen in children & youth
- Access available Resources to use in your practice
Erica Patterson, Clinical Nurse Specialist at the Hospital for Sick Children
Erica is a Clinical Nurse Specialist for Interprofessional Practice. In this role, she leads multiple hospital wide programs and projects including the Sepsis program and SickKid’s Comfort promise initiative. She has a Bachelor of Science of Nursing from McMaster University and a Masters of Nursing- Leadership in Health Policy and Education from Ryerson University. Erica also works part time as a RN on the Bone Marrow Transplant unit where she cares for pediatric oncology and hematology patients admitted to hospital. Erica also holds an adjunct lecturer position with the Faculty of Nursing at the University of Toronto.
Resources Mentioned in Session
- About Kids Health-Comfort Promise Learning Hub
- SickKids – Comfort Promise Tools
- Infant Video
- Toddler Video
- School age/teen Video
- Contribution of a heating element to topical anesthesia patch efficacy prior to vascular access: results from two randomized, double-blind studies
- Child Life Programs at World Eye Cancer Hope
You must be logged in to view this content.