Stay tuned for our eLearning modules that we aim to launch this Fall! Below are resources and references mentioned in the session.
- Recognize common mental health conditions associated with obesity in children and adolescents
- Describe the implications of mental health diagnoses on obesity management
- Use practical treatment approaches and communication strategies
Alene Toulany, MD, FRCPC
Dr. Alene Toulany is an Adolescent Medicine Specialist in the Division of Adolescent Medicine and Assistant Professor in the Department of Paediatrics at the University of Toronto. Clinically, she works with adolescents around issues of body image, obesity, eating disorders, and sleep problems. Her academic and research interests include quality of care and health services outcomes for youth with complex chronic medical and mental illness.
Resources Mentioned in Session
- He J, Cai Z, & Fan X. . Prevalence of binge and loss of control eating among children and adolescents with overweight and obesity: An exploratory meta‐analysis. International Journal of Eating Disorders. 2017;50(2):91-103.
- Goossens L, Braet C, Van Vlierberghe L, & Mels S. . Loss of control over eating in overweight youngsters: The role of anxiety, depression and emotional eating. European Eating Disorders Review. 2009;17(1):68-78.
- Flament MF, Henderson K, Buchholz A, et al. Weight status and DSM-5 diagnoses of eating disorders in adolescents from the community. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2015;54(5):403-411.e2.
- Sawyer SM, Whitelaw M, Le Grange D, Yeo M, & Hughes EK. Physical and psychological morbidity in adolescents with atypical anorexia nervosa. Pediatrics. 2016;137(4):e20154080-e20154080.
- Gillison F, Beck F, Lewitt J. Exploring the basis for parents’ negative reactions to being informed that their child is overweight. Public Health Nutr. 2014;17(5):987-997.
- O’Brien KS, Hunter JA, Banks M. Implicit antifat bias in physical educators: physical attributes, ideology and sociology. Int J Obes (Lond). 2007;31(2):308–14.
- Schwartz MB, O’Neal Chambliss H, Brownell KD, Blair SN, Billington C. Weight bias among health professionals specializing in obesity. Obes Res. 2003;11(9):1033–9.
- Waring ME, Lapane KL. Overweight in children and adolescents in relation to attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: Results from a national sample. Pediatrics. 2008; 122(1):e1-e6.
- Chen Q, et al. Common psychiatric and metabolic comorbidity of adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: A population-based cross-sectional study. PLoS ONE. 2018;13(9):e0204516.
- Puhl R, Brownell KD. Bias, discrimination, and obesity. Obes Res. 2001;9(12):788–805.
- Puhl RM, Heuer CA. Weight bias: a review and update. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009;17(5):941–964
- Brownell KD, Puhl RM, Schwartz MB, Rudd L. (Eds.). Weight bias: Nature, consequences, and remedies. Guilford Publications. 2005.
- Warschburger P. The unhappy obese child. Int J Obes (Lond). 2005;29 Suppl 2:S127-9.
- Sutin AR, Terracciano A. Perceived weight discrimination and obesity. PLoS ONE. 2013;8(7): e70048.
- McVey GL, Walker KS, Beyers J, Harrison HL, Simkins SW, & Russell-Mayhew S. Integrating weight bias awareness and mental health promotion into obesity prevention delivery: A public health pilot study. 2013;10:E46.
- Puhl, R. Obesity Stigma: Implications for Patients and Providers. 2013. http://www.yaleruddcenter.org
- Tsiros MD, et al. Health-related quality of life in obese children and adolescents. Int J Obes (Lond). 2009;33(4):387-400.
- Schwimmer JB, Burwinkle TM, Varni JW. Health-related quality of life of severely obese children and adolescents. JAMA. 2003;289(14):1813-9.
- McElroy SL, et al. Are mood disorders and obesity related? A review for the mental health professional. J Clin Psychiatry. 2004;634-51, quiz 730.
- Luppino FS, de Wit LM, Bouvy PF, et al. Overweight, obesity, and depression: A systemic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal studies. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2010;67(3):220-229.
- Liang J, Matheson BE, Kaye WH, Boutelle KN. Neurocognitive correlates of obesity and obesity-related behaviors in children and adolescents. Int J Obes (Lond). 2014;38(4): 494–506.
- Reiner NEED REFERENCE
- Freedhoff Y, & Sharma, AM. Best weight a practical guide to office-based obesity management. Candian Obesity Network. 2010.
- Berkman ND, Brownley KA, Peat CM, et al. Management and outcomes of binge-eating disorder. Comparative effectiveness review No. 160. (Prepared by the RTI International–University of North Carolina Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-2012-00008-I.) AHRQ Publication. 2015;15(16)-EHC030-EF. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- Magkos F, Fraterrigo G, Yoshino J, et al. Effects of moderate and subsequent progressive weight loss on metabolic function and adipose tissue biology in humans with obesity. Cell Metabolism. 2016;23(4):591-601.
You must be logged in to view this content.