- Describe the only medical condition presenting in pediatric patients that has strong evidence in the literature to support the use of cannabis as a therapeutic agent.
- Describe the biological vulnerabilities of the the developing brain in children and adolescents when exposed to regular cannabis use.
- Discuss specific mental health diagnoses that may more prevalent in children or adolescents exposed to regular use of cannabis.
Deepa Kattail, MD, MHS, FAAP, McMaster Children’s Hospital
Dr. Deepa Kattail is a board certified in anesthesiology and pediatric anesthesiology by the American Board of Anesthesiology and is a subspecialty fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics. Her post-graduate clinical training included an anesthesia residency at Rush Medical Center in Chicago and a fellowship in pediatric anesthesiology at Johns Hopkins Hospital. She is actively involved in the Society of Pediatric Pain Medicine and is currently chair of the communications committee. Currently, she is a staff physician at McMaster Children’s Hospital and divides her time between pediatric anesthesiology, the pediatric chronic pain program, academic and research activities at McMaster University. Her research interests are focused on clinical aspects of pediatric pain.
Resources Mentioned in Session
- The endocannabinoid system and its therapeutic exploitation
- Cannabinoids in Pediatrics
- Medical Cannabinoids in Children and Adolescents: A Systematic Review
- A prospective open-label trial of a CBD/THC cannabis oil in dravet syndrome
- Association of Cannabis Use in Adolescence and Risk of Depression, Anxiety, and Suicidality in Young Adulthood: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
- Trajectory of adolescent cannabis use on addiction vulnerability
- Cannabis and Canada’s Children and Youth
- Considering Cannabis: The Effects of Regular Cannabis Use on Neurocognition in Adolescents and Young Adults
- Drug Use Among Ontario Students, 1977 – 2015: Detailed OSDUHS Findings
- Cannabis use and risk of psychotic or affective mental health outcomes: a systematic review
- Cannabis use and earlier onset of psychosis: a systematic meta-analysis
- Mental Health Comorbidities in Pediatric Chronic Pain: A Narrative Review of Epidemiology, Models, Neurobiological Mechanisms and Treatment
- Canadian Paediatric Society – Position Statement: Cannabis and Canada’s children and youth
- Labeling Accuracy of Cannabidiol Extracts Sold Online
- Guidance/Policies on Cannabis for Medical Purposes
You must be logged in to view this content.