- Define pain and its subtypes
- Explain an approach to evaluating pain in children
- Describe treatment modalities for pain at end of life
- Highlight key aspects of pain management counselling
Katie Boone, MD at the Hospital for Sick Children
Katie Boone completed an undergraduate degree in biology and a Masters of biotechnology at the University of Calgary. Katie then attended medical school at the University of Toronto, and completed her paediatrics residency at SickKids. Katie is currently in her first year of a Paediatric Palliative Care Fellowship and is completing a Master of Science in Health Practitioner Teacher Education.
Resources Mentioned in Session
- IASP Terminology
- PAIN! Physiology – The Ascending Pathway, Descending Pain Pathway and the Substantia Gelatinosa
- Understanding the Concept of “Total Pain” – A Prerequisite for Pain Control
- Tools for Measuring Pain
- Wong-Baker Faces
- Pediatric Oncology: Managing Pain at the End of Life
- Pediatric Pain and Symptom Management Guidelines – Dana Farber Cancer Institute/Boston Children’s Hospital
- Planning for and Providing Quality End-of-Life Care
You must be logged in to view this content.